Monday, September 19, 2011

Recipe for Smoked Drumsticks Wrapped in Bacon and Rolled in a Hot Wings Sauce


Right before they went into the smoker.

Quick Instructions (details below)
Remove skin from drumsticks.
Apply a rub to the meat. 
Wrap a piece of bacon around each drumstick.
Smoke until done.  I kept the temperature of the smoker around 325 degrees as consistently as possible.  They were done in an hour.  Be sure to test with a meat thermometer.
Roll in a hot wing/buffalo sauce and serve!




 The Rub
I didn't measure, I tend to pour until it's the right color and scent.  They are listed in order of amount used:
Season-All Salt
Cayenne Pepper
Crushed Black Pepper
Ground Cumin
Garlic Powder
Thyme
Paprika


Right after smoking.

Put your rub on the drumsticks. Then cover each one with a strip of bacon.  I used a strip of bacon since I removed the chicken skin.  Since many people do not like the skin, I replaced it with bacon.  It holds in the moisture, enhances the flavor and offers a nice texture to bite through.
 
Smoke your seasoned, bacon-wrapped drumsticks until done.  I tried to maintain the smoker's internal temperature as close to 325 degrees as I could for the hour it took to cook the drumsticks to 170 degrees.  They only took about 1 hour to reach this temperature.


In the hot-wings/buffalo sauce.

The Hot Wings Sauce
The ingredients are an adaptation of what I found on the Louisiana Hot Sauce website.
1 stick melted butter
1/2 cup Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 tablespoon Honey.

After the drumsticks came out of the smoker, I rolled them around inside of the pan of my hot wings mixture.  It's not a super thick hotwing sauce, but it did the trick!





This is all that was left.

I didn't have a chance to get a good picture to show you the plate of the finished drumsticks.  As I was pulling them out of the sauce, 5 teenage boys and my husband swooped in and gobbled them up.

They say they were great!  One of the boys said "You combined my favorite ingredients: chicken, bacon and buffalo sauce!"

No comments:

Post a Comment